Monday, March 8, 2010

What a crazy weekend!

Friday: I moved from the suburbs to the city of Melbourne, but not before seeing my first kangaroo in the wild (check that off of the to-do list).  The hostel where I wanted to stay in St. Kilda actually did not have any rooms for the night, so Renee (for those of you in SF, Renee is my ex-coworker J's ex-girlfriend) said I could crash at her apartment.  Already have my first friend in Melbourne!  I met her as she got off of work and we went to her friend's house for dinner before going out in the city.  Melbourne night life is very similar to San Francisco, so I loved it (but also met a lot of sleezy guys haha).  It happened that one of Renee's friends knew of a club opening, so we went to that, however that was the least exciting part of the night...  However, I did end the night at a club that is open until 7AM (although we only stayed until 3:30AM) before crashing on Renee's couch.

Saturday: Saturday also reminded me of San Francisco (sad!) because we woke up and went for brunch with Cat (who is amazing and Renee's friend) and then went to her house in Kensington to hang out for the day.  The weather has been rainy for the last few days in Melbourne, but when we got to Cat's house, it started hailing, and it was one of the craziest things I have ever seen.  At one point, Cat was yelling, "Is it 2012?  It's the end of the world!"  haha.  After that crazy storm, all of the roads were flooded and the traffic was really bad, but we still managed to get ourselves together and go out for the night.  I also checked into my hostel (Base at St. Kilda which is amazing!).  I had planned to meet up with Matt (again for those in SF, Matt is a friend of Ben who plays basketball with Phil, Benson's brother).  He took us out with his friends, and I am not over-exaggerating when I say that we were surrounded by some of the best looking guys I have ever seen (girls, definitely go out in the Richmond district of Melbourne - very different from SF's Richmond!).  We stayed out until 5AM, which is probably why everyone in my hostel room hated me haha.

Sunday: Sunday was again a lazy day because of the weather.  I took a cab to meet up with Renee and Cat at one of the most disgusting party houses I have ever been to in the Caulfield suburb.  It is owned by a few guys that Renee knows...  The highlight of Sunday was definitely Cat doing the Taco Dance (look for a video on Facebook soon!)

Monday: I am counting Monday as part of the weekend, because it was a Labour Day here so no one had to work.  I woke up and the sun was finally out, so I went for a run along the St. Kilda Marina.  Then Cat and I went to the country races (horse racing!).  Although neither of us won and it started raining again, it was nice to meet her aunt, cousins, and their friends and to see "the country."

No comments:

Post a Comment