Thursday, April 8, 2010

Train Ride Across Australia (Sydney to Perth)

So this next part of my trip does not really make sense, so it is not advised for others to follow in my footsteps.  I had already planned with my friend Jack before I left the states that we would travel together for most of April.  He had been in Australia for almost a year on a Working Holiday Visa, and he had to leave the country before April 20th.  Since he had been to most of Australia already, we decided to travel to Perth and Tasmania together.

The part that does not make sense is that I was already in Adelaide after I got back from Kangaroo Island.  However, I flew to Bondi in Sydney (which is East of Adelaide) to meet up with Jack only to catch the train from Sydney to Perth (far west Australia) that would pass through Adelaide about 24 hours into the trip.  If it had been planned better, I could have just gotten on the train in Adelaide (and missed one night sleeping on the train!)  Oh well...

The train trip that we were on is called the Indian Pacific, and it is really an experience.  For all of you who asked me why I did not just fly, it was really for the experience that we decided to take the train.  In fact, we were given the option of getting sleeper cars or just sit in reclining chairs, and we chose the latter because it was 1/3 of the cost, and again, we were doing it for the whole experience.  Our “Red Service” car was filled with a lot of old people and a few other backpackers like us.  The seats actually did recline quite far and there was a ton of leg room!  There was also a diner car where we could purchase food or just hang out in to get away from our seats for a bit.









From Sydney, the train wove through the Blue Mountains and we made a couple of stops in small towns to pick up a few passengers.  After eating the dinner I had brought on the train (I actually did not eat at the diner at all during the trip!), I fell asleep in my seat.  It was not the best night sleep I ever had, but it was actually a lot better than I thought.

That is until we were woken up at 6:30AM to announce that the train would be stopping in a mining town called Broken Hill and we had about an hour to walk around before the train would depart again.  I should mention that it was Easter Sunday at this point and really early in the morning, so nothing was really open in Broken Hill (although it looked like a sleepy town so it may not have made a difference).  I picked up some food for later and we got back onto the train.






The next stop would be in Adelaide at 3:30PM for about 3 hours, so we had plenty of time to stare out at the scenery.  I even got cell phone reception at some point (I have no idea how since there was absolutely nothing around!) to talk to my parents for a little while.  I was excited about this stopover in Adelaide because Renee was home for Easter (that is where she is from), so she picked up Jack and I and took us to Glenelg, a beach town, for much needed food and drinks at a pub.



We made it back to the train station with plenty of time, and it was at this point that I realized the difference with the Gold Service (sleeper cars) and Red Service (low-class where we were sitting).  There were mats rolled out for the Gold Service passengers and we caught a glimpse of their bar/diner car where all of their meals were included.  Also, as we started walking towards the Red Service cars, there was definitely a disgusting smell in the air...



There were no familiar faces on the train when we boarded.  In fact, I think Jack and I were the only braves ones to travel the whole distance from Sydney (or crazy ones!)  The good news is that the average age of our rail car was down and there were a lot more young people for the rest of the trip.  Even the staff on the train was different, and they offered us sleeper cars at a discounted rate.  We considered it but decided that the cost was not worth it and we were doing it for the experience!

On the third day, we were again woken up early by the annoying PA system announcing that breakfast was being served in the diner car.  I should also mention at this point that after using the restroom on the train on the first day, I decided to strategically plan my breaks for when the train stopped.  The smell was overpowering and there was a non-flushing urinal (that Jack swore went down the drain when the train turned!)  Both Jack and I decided against actually showering on the train, and I used my dry shampoo regularly.  After all it was only for three days...

On this day, we entered into the longest straight stretch of railroad in the world - 478kms!  This basically means that I took a long nap while the train continued straight ahead through the desert.  Our next stop was in a township called Cook that has a population of 4!  Actually though, we think the population should be increased to include the over 1 million flies that also live in Cook.  They were so annoying that Jack and I decided to get back on the train before our 45 minute stop was even over.  Even though the train crew insisted that the flies don’t like air-conditioning and would not get back on the train with us, about 100 did.  They provided entertainment for some people who made it their mission to kill each and every one.  The township of Cook is actually a funny place that had a lot of little jokes, such as the Cook Country Club which was actually an abandoned building that was condemned.









Our next stop would not be until later that night, after we passed into the state of Western Australia, at a place called Kalgoorlie that is known for 2 things: mining and skimpies.  Skimpies are female bartenders that serve drinks in their underwear, literally.  Of course, Jack and I had to go see them for ourselves, so after dinner we went to a place called the Wild West Saloon.  There were 2 girls dressed in skimpies and they (along with me) were the only girls in the bar!









We continued on from Kalgoorlie into the night and would be arriving at Perth in the morning.  All in all, we spent 3 nights and 2 1/2 days on the train.  I am really glad that we decided to take the trip because it was definitely an experience.  We made it safely to Perth and were anxious to take showers.  Ask me someday if I would ever take the Indian Pacific again - the answer for now is “not for a looooooooong time...”



No comments:

Post a Comment